Chocolate Coconut Breakfast Muffins
Free from dairy, nuts, peanuts, soy, citrus, egg
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup lard
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup rolled oats
a dash of flax seeds
2 tbsp shelled pumpkin seeds
a handful of Let's Do Organic dried coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a muffin tray with muffin cups.
- Add the flour, soda, powder, and salt to a medium mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the lard and sugars. Add the banana and mash until smooth. Then add the applesauce and vanilla and mix well. Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix until combined, but still with some lumps. Be sure not to overmix! Fold in the oats, chocolate, seeds, and coconut so they're evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Fill the muffin cups all the way to the top. Place the tray in preheated oven.
- Bake for 20 - 22 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a fork inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack until ready to serve.