These tasty bars really have it all: Sunbutter, dark chocolate cookie dough, chocolate chunks, and smooth banana. They're part brownie, part cookie, and part banana bread. Here's how to make them
1 cup Earth Balance Organic Whipped spread (lard, shortening, or your favorite vegan butter will also work)
1 cup dark brown sugar or demerara sugar (this is white sugar and molasses)
1/3 cup sugar
a pinch of salt
1 very ripe banana
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup dark cocoa
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 package of Enjoy Life chocolate chunks (or as much as you like)
Several heaping spoons of Sunbutter (crunchy or smooth - your choice)
1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Mash the Earth Balance and both sugars together until smooth. Mash in the banana and then the egg, mixing until completely smooth.
3. Add the salt, flour, cocoa, and baking powder and mix well. But do not overmix or the batter will get tough. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
4. Spoon half the batter into your lined baking tray and smooth it out. Spread the Sunbutter in an even layer over the batter. Then spoon the rest of the batter on top for the final layer and level off the top with a butter knife.
5. Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out relatively clean.
6. Allow the bars to cool and then cut into squares.
Makes 12 - 16 bars